Skip to Main Content Ask About Financing

What to Do if Your Dog Is Stung by a Bee

While most dogs recover quickly from a bee sting, it's important to monitor your pet for signs of a serious allergic reaction that could require emergency care. This blog post discusses things to do if your dog is stung by a bee. 

How can I tell if my dog has been stung by a bee?

Signs that your pup has been stung by a bee include drooling, swelling, excessive licking, and pawing at a specific area. You may also notice that your dog is digging around in a flower bush and crying out.

Bee stings on dogs often occur on the pads of the feet, the mouth, and the face.

What should I do if my dog has been stung?

After a sting, monitor your dog for an allergic reaction. In the meantime, call your primary care veterinarian to let them know what happened and ask if they think you should bring your dog in.

Monitoring Your Dog for an Allergic Reaction

The most important thing to do immediately following a bee sting is to watch for an allergic reaction. Dogs who have been stung before or who are stung by multiple bees at once time are more likely to have an allergic reaction.

It's crucial to keep an eye on your pet's breathing if the sting site swells noticeably, especially if it's on the neck or face. Take your dog to an emergency vet right away if you suspect that they aren't breathing enough or if they are beginning to gasp or wheeze.

If your dog starts vomiting within 5-10 minutes after being stung or has increasingly pale gums, this could be a sign of anaphylactic shock. If your dog shows either of these symptoms, head to an emergency vet immediately.

Other dangerous signs of an allergic reaction include significant drooling, agitation, or sudden, uncharacteristic aggression.

Making Your Dog More Comfortable

If 30 minutes to an hour have passed and your dog is showing no signs of an allergic reaction, you can focus on making them more comfortable.

In this case, your veterinarian may have already recommended over-the-counter medications (antihistamines such as Benadryl). Be sure to use the dosage that your vet recommends for your dog.

For most dogs, the area of the sting will be sensitive and puffy. If you can see the sting site and easily remove the stinger with tweezers, do so immediately to ease pain and prevent the venom from the stinger from spreading. 

After a sting, the majority of dogs should start to feel better within a few hours and should be back to normal within a day or two. To lessen swelling and inflammation, you can apply a damp towel to the sting site in the interim.

Contact your primary care vet to book a full health checkup for your pup and to have an opportunity to seek more advice on how to solve this frustrating issue.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

Has your dog been stung by a bee? Our vets at American Pet Hospital are here to help. Contact us right away for guidance and to book an examination for your four-legged friend.

New Patients Are Always Welcome.

Looking for quality veterinary care delivered with a friendly smile? Contact us today to book an appointment for your pet!

Contact Us

Book Online (209) 549-8387